That’s a Wrap!
Saj bread takes on many names: yufka, markook, shrake and here in South Africa it’s called… a wrap. It’s a leavened bread dough rolled out thin and baked on a metal dome called a saj, hence its name.
Ben, our baker, starts the process of making the dough each morning at 6. After the dough has been kneaded it rests for 30 minutes. It is portioned, thinly rolled into large discs and eventually baked on the saj. It takes skill to make saj and customers enjoy watching the process.
Our saj bread is one of the first items to sell out of every day and it’s easy to understand why. Wraps make for a tasty, quick and easy dinner or lunch option for the whole family. While we enjoy a saj bread on its own dipped in our dips like toumeya, baba ganoush and hummus, the world is your oyster when it comes to filling them. Here’s an idea:
- 4 pieces saj bread
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 60ml good olive oil
- Juice of one small lemon
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp za’atar
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Some sliced lettuce
- A little chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180℃
- For the marinade, mix the sliced onion, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, za’atar, three tablespoons of plain yoghurt, olive oil and salt and pepper in a large baking dish
- Place the chicken breasts into the marinade and make sure they’re well coated and cover with tinfoil
- Bake the chicken for around 30 minutes or until done
- Let cool and slice into thin strips
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, the chicken strips and the sauce from the baking dish
- Spread a generous layer of toumeya on each saj, add some lettuce and top with the chicken mixture, a sprinkle of parsley and roll them up
- Serve with pickles on the side and tuck in!
What’s your favourite wrap? Share your favourite recipes with us on social media. Take a picture of your home made creation and tag us on Facebook and Instagram @lebanesebakeryct
You can get most of the items for this recipe on our new online shop. Order for collection on www.lebanesebakery.co.za