A Fresh Fattoush Salad
Summer is here, which means South African’s are doing what they do best – extending the festive season for as long as possible. It’s a time for kuiering, summer braais, sundowners and spending quality time with loved ones and friends, laughing and just being happy. And eating of course.
A Cape Town summer is idyllic, perfect for being outdoors and dipping into the ocean. Chef Clara’s favourite thing for guests is a picnic with delicious mezze, nibbly bits and salads, preferably in the shade of some oak trees. With all the entertaining it’s great to serve fresh and healthy salads. If you are looking for some new ideas on what to bring to your next social event, why not try a traditional Lebanese Fattoush salad. Fattoush is fresh and zesty and is known as bread salad – you get to cheat while you eat! It’s made from a mixture of greens, vegetables, crispy pita pieces and a tangy pomegranate molasses dressing.
It’s a simple, quick and tasty meal to prepare for yourself on a hot summer’s day or to wow guests with. The addition of mint and parsley gives it that extra freshness we love in salads. For the crunch, choose from our za’atar or chili-paprika dipping breads. We have all the things you need to make the dressing in the store.
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cucumber, cut into small chunks
- 1 head of ice berg lettuce, roughly torn into smallish pieces
- 1 bunch radish, thinly sliced
- 1 handful mint leaves, roughly torn
- 1 handful fresh parsley leaves
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- A pack of baked dipping bread (chili-paprika or za’atar)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Pinch of sugar if needed – don’t forget – this is supposed to be tangy and tart
Step 1: Prepare the salad dressing by combining the ingredients into a glass jar. Shake well and set aside
Step 2: Pop all the salad goodies into a large bowl and drizzle with the sauce
Step 3: Sprinkle with our baked dipping breads and tuck in
Our food is available for delivery through UberEats and Mr. D Food. We take order and collections as well through www.lebanesebakery.co.za
With love from Clara, Khaled and the LB Team!